This guide discusses everything you should know about cybersecurity in San Antonio. From courses, training, bootcamps, degrees, and job opportunities, here is a complete guide to the latest trends in the cybersecurity industry in San Antonio, Texas.
In this guide
San Antonio is a nationally recognized hub for information security and is widely known as the “cybersecurity capital of Texas” and “Cyber City USA.” This is due to the massive amount of opportunities in information security and other cyber-related fields.
cybersecurityguide.org is an advertising-supported site. Clicking in this box will show you programs related to your search from schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other information published on this site.
Featured Cybersecurity Degree Programs
|School Name||Program||More Info|
|Grand Canyon University||Online BS in Cybersecurity or Online MS in Cybersecurity||website|
|Southern New Hampshire University||Online BS in Cybersecurity or Online MS in Cybersecurity||website|
|UT Austin||The Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UT Austin||website|
|UC Berkeley School of Information||Master’s in Cybersecurity | No GRE/GMAT Required||website|
|Purdue Global||Online BS in Cybersecurity||website|
|Utica University||Online BS in Cybersecurity||website|
The city’s information security scope has grown rapidly and was ranked 9th in the global security hubs list by CSOonline. San Antonio is also home to security organizations such as the US Air Force’s Security Service Operations, National Security Agency (NSA) Central Security Service Texas Cryptologic Center, and The FBI Cyber Division.
According to the San Antonio government, biotech, aerospace, and cybersecurity dominate the city’s economy, with more than 200 companies serving the cybersecurity market. This makes the city one of the biggest cybersecurity workforce employers in the country.
In terms of education, San Antonio is a great place to study cybersecurity. The city has more than ten industry-recognized colleges, universities, and training centers for cyber-related studies. In fact, the University of Texas at San Antonio is ranked among the best schools for cybersecurity in the world.
As such, San Antonio is one of the best places in the country to start and advance your cybersecurity career and secure high-paying jobs in the industry. For more info, be sure to check out the cybersecurity programs in Texas guide.
Cybersecurity courses and training available in San Antonio
Whether you want to start your career or prepare for security exams, there are numerous cybersecurity courses and training in San Antonio. These courses are online and on-site and are available in different formats depending on your schedule and preferences. Here are examples of virtual and in-person cybersecurity courses and training in San Antonio:
Tech Talent South – SecDevOps Program
The Tech Talent South SecDevOps program is available online, but there’s an optional in-person training facility at 18911 Hardy Oak Blvd, San Antonio.
- Duration: This is an 8-week part-time program in SecDevOps. Classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 PM-9 PM.
- Aim: This intermediate program teaches students about core security-related issues in software development and IT operations.
- Module: The course covers modules on how to deploy and maintain software using Kubernetes, AWS, Agile, Docker, and more.
- Course Cost: The Tech Talent South SecDevOps course costs $4,750.
- Duration: This is a 5-day intensive course on information systems security.
- Aim: The course prepares students for the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) exams and covers 100 percent of all exam objectives.
- Module: The course covers modules in asset security, communication and network security, identity and access management, and software development security.
- Course Costs: The Certstaffix CISSP course costs $3,100/person. Teams will have to request a quote.
- Certstaffix also offers more cybersecurity-related courses that are available online or can be taken at their lab in San Antonio. See full details about the Certstaffix CISSP training and other courses.
- Duration: 40 hours.
- Aim: This course prepares students for CompTIA Security+ exams.
- Module: This cybersecurity training covers several core security fundamentals, techniques, principles, and tools used in data and information security measures.
- Costs: This course costs $2,795
- See full details about the NetCom Learning cybersecurity training.
- This program covers the fundamental principles and hands-on experience needed to protect programs, networks, computers, and institutional data from cyber attacks.
- Students will select four courses with a total of 12 credit hours. The courses you’ll choose from are Computer Network Security, Cloud Computing Security, Cryptography Principles and Practice, Cybersecurity Risk Management, Digital Forensics, and Cyber Crime.
- The tuition for this certificate is between $10,000 to $12,000 but can be more or less depending on different factors. It’s best to request more info from the institution for your exact fees.
- See full information on St. Mary’s Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity.
- All cybersecurity certificate programs can be taken online or face-to-face at the college’s location at 1819 N Main Ave, San Antonio.
- The program modules cover strategies for monitoring networks for security breaches, responding to cyber attacks, and designing system architectures.
- See the full list of all Information Assurance & Cybersecurity certificate programs at San Antonio College for tuition and other information.
- The Information Technology Cybersecurity Specialist program covers strategies to secure computer networks, respond to cyber attacks, and how to gather evidence used in prosecuting cybercrime.
- Learn more about the SPC Information Technology Cybersecurity Specialist certificates.
- DAGGERS GROUP
- DYNAMIC ADVANCEMENT LLC
- TECHNOW INC.
- CYBERSECURITY ANALYST
- PENETRATION & VULNERABILITY TESTER
- SYSTEMS ENGINEER
- CYBERSECURITY CONSULTANT
- CYBERSECURITY MANAGER
- CYBERSECURITY ARCHITECT
Certstaffix Training – Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
The Certstaffix CISSP training is an instructor-led course that is live online, with an optional training lab at 5460 Babcock Rd, Suite 120C, San Antonio. The institution also offers on-site training for groups or teams, which will be held at the group’s preferred location.
NetCom Learning – CompTIA Cybersecurity Training
The NetCom CompTIA cybersecurity training is available online or at the institution’s training center located at 9901 Interstate Highway 10 West Vance Jackson, Suite 8200 IH-10 W., San Antonio, San Antonio.
Cybersecurity bootcamps and certifications available in San Antonio
While there are several cybersecurity courses and intensive training programs in San Antonio, you can also launch your information security career with bootcamps. Here are some of them:
St. Mary’s College – Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity
The St. Mary’s College Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity is held on-campus at the school’s facility at 1 Camino Santa Maria, San Antonio.
San Antonio College – Information Assurance & Cybersecurity Certifications
San Antonio College in the Alamo Colleges District offers a range of cybersecurity certifications in Information Assurance and Cybersecurity that can be completed in one year. These programs include Computer Forensics, Level 1 Certificate, and CompTIA Security+ Certification Preparation, among many others.
St Philip’s College – Information Technology Cybersecurity Specialist
St Philip’s College currently offers four cybersecurity-related certificate programs. All the programs are held at the institution’s campus at 800 Quintana Road, San Antonio, except the Information Technology Cybersecurity Specialist Level 1 Certificate, which is also available online.
Industry-recognized certification programs in San Antonio
San Antonio is home to several industry-recognized cybersecurity certificate holders and related security fields. Here are some of the training academies that are qualified to give industry certificates:
Daggers Group is a San Antonio-based IT security organization offering cybersecurity services and training with certifications such as CISSP, CISM, CISA, CEH, CompTIA Security+, and others.
Dynamic Advancement is focused on helping professionals and beginners forge successful cyber careers with courses tailored for each level. The institution is authorized to provide certifications such as CISSP, CRISC, CISM, PMP, and A+ Certification.
TechNow is a leading cybersecurity training center that offers up to 31 computer and IT security programs for 17 certifications, including CompTIA Security+, CompTIA A+, and CompTIA Network+, among others.
Cybersecurity schools and degrees in San Antonio
San Antonio is one of the country’s best places to study cybersecurity. The city’s most preferred school, The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), has developed a dynamic, collaborative research ecosystem focused on data and cybersecurity.
The UTSA School of Data Science and National Security Collaboration Center (NSCC) buildings are scheduled to open at the center of downtown San Antonio in 2022. This will be the first of its kind in Texas.
UTSA’s cybersecurity programs have also been ranked number one in the nation by Ponemon Institute. The university is also one of the few in the country with three National Center of Excellence designations from the US Department of Homeland Security and the National Security Agency (NSA).
But besides the UTSA, there are more San Antonio schools and colleges with established cybersecurity and other related programs in the city.
Cybersecurity associate degree programs in San Antonio
|Northwest Vista College||Associate of Applied Science in Information Assurance & Cyber Security.|
|St. Philip’s College||Information Technology Cybersecurity Specialist, A.A.S.|
Cybersecurity bachelor of science programs in San Antonio
|Our Lady of the Lake University|
BA in Computer Information Systems and Security – Security Track
|The University of Texas at San Antonio||Bachelor of Business Administration Degree in Cyber Security|
|Texas A&M University San Antonio||Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences Information Technology/Information Assurance and Security Concentration|
|Hallmark University||Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity|
Cybersecurity master’s degree programs in San Antonio
|St. Mary’s University||Master of Science in Cybersecurity|
|The University of Texas at San Antonio||Master of Science Degree in Information Technology – Cyber Security Concentration|
Cybersecurity online master’s degree programs in San Antonio
|Our Lady of the Lake University, San Antonio||Online Master of Science Degree in Cybersecurity|
The majority of Texas cybersecurity educational opportunities are clustered in San Antonio. However, there are more opportunities in other cities in the state. See the full list of Texas schools with cybersecurity degrees.
Cybersecurity jobs, salaries, and companies in San Antonio
The San Antonio region has a cyber ecosystem that helps companies and individuals grow, supported by a job-ready workforce. The city has the highest concentration of certified cybersecurity professionals outside Washington DC – the biggest cybersecurity city in the country.
Companies offering IT Security and Consulting services are a major part of the 2022 fastest-growing companies in San Antonio. The city is also home to multinational corporations that handle big data and need information security experts and Network Engineers.
For example, USAA, a Fortune 100 company and a giant in fintech and cybersecurity, is headquartered in San Antonio.
Here are some cybersecurity jobs in San Antonio and their respective salaries according to the employment site, Indeed.
The average salary of a Cybersecurity Analyst in San Antonio is $76,671.
Skills Required – Active Directory, Azure, COBIT, Firewall, IDS, ISO 27001, Computer Networking, & Encryption.
The average salary for a Penetration & Vulnerability Tester in San Antonio is $128,768.
Skills Required: AWS, Bash, C++, Encryption, APIs, .NET, Burp Suite, C#, & Computer Networking.
The average salary for a Systems Engineer in San Antonio is $101,886.
Skills Required: You’re expected to have AWS, Azure, C++, DNS, Java, and Computer Networking skills. Companies also want applicants to display communication, analysis, and leadership skills.
The average of a Cybersecurity Consultant in San Antonio is $109,386.
Skills Required: Besides in-depth knowledge of cybersecurity and good communication skills, other required skills for this role include Information Security and NIST Standards.
This is the Advanced level of a Cybersecurity Analyst.
The average salary of a Cybersecurity Manager in San Antonio is $131,082.
Skills Required: Cloud Security, Ansible, Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB) Management, Cybersecurity Strategy, IDS, Security Insider Threat Management, Google Cloud Platform, and Enterprise Mission Assurance Support Service.
The average salary for a Cybersecurity Architect in San Antonio is $176,753.
Skills Required: Besides holding a CISSP qualification, applicants must also have skills such as Public Cloud Security, Container Security, Microservices Security, Cloud Security, and SABSA, among others.
The San Antonio-New Braunfels region has a very high geographic concentration of cybersecurity jobs with a 3.0 location quotient that is 3x higher than the national average of 1.0.
Between May 2021 and April 2022, the region had 12,052 people employed in the cybersecurity workforce, but with 8,434 job openings. It’s important to remember that major employers like the military, which employ more than 2,500 people are not part of the commercial job listings.
Cyberseek shows that nearly 74% of all cybersecurity job listings require certification. Since San Antonio has several industry-recognized certification holders, educational opportunities, and high job listings, it’s a great place to start and advance your cybersecurity career.